Business is like a seesaw where you cannot expect to gain profit every time. However, there is one business where you cannot expect much, but at least something to earn your livelihood smoothly and that is to become food entrepreneur. Opening your own food business cannot be tough if you know the right way of doing it.
The heart of food business lies in the kitchen. A kitchen needs all equipment and food products that can make your food tasty and quick. The thumb rule of any business is to gain maximum profit in less time. Thus, your main attention should be towards kitchen where all your employees work together to get a perfect dish.
A commercial kitchen might be large or small depending upon your budget. However, when you are a beginner, it is better to start on a small scale. A commercial kitchen needs food, refrigerator, apparatus, appliances, dishes and space. East End Incubator Commercial Kitchens located in California have at least ten well furnished commercial kitchens where you can show your talent.
Some people start food business from home thinking that it might save them some money. Although every state has different laws, one law is common among all states and that is to prevent food business from home. A home kitchen will not be well equipped like commercial kitchen and not much attention could be given to hygiene and sanitation.
A home includes many people, who are not trained on hygiene factor also there are pets at home, people smoking and there can be contamination of personal food and commercial food. Keeping all this in mind, it was decided to ban commercial kitchen at home.
There is a specified zonal area for commercial kitchens and personal kitchens unfortunately don’t lie in that zone. There are certain important points that are mentioned in the to do list while building a commercial kitchen –
- Grease traps to avoid excess fat in sewer lines
- Fire sprinklers over stove
- Special plumbing for sinks and dishwasher
- Sinks should have three sections
- There should be ventilation and exhaust fans.
Since all these things could not be done in a personal kitchen thus it was banned.
It is therefore suggested to rent a commercial kitchen initially to start a business. Although it is exceptional to find a well-furnished kitchen, a kitchen with gas line can ease our life.
- Check with the health department to see if this area is under regulation. That includes three section sink, a huge refrigerator and shelves six inches above the ground.
- You can also split a space with someone. That can also save you lot of money.
- However, to avoid any hassle or stress check with your sharing partner their timings so that yours doesn’t clash with them.
- You can also use an existing kitchen so that you don’t need to buy all the equipment and utensils. If you know someone who owns a commercial kitchen, contact that person and talk over.
Before you start any business avoid nervousness. Patience is the key to all the problems. You might not get what you dreamt of but as a beginner, little struggle can help you reach your destination.
Robert Wolf has written this article. Food Centricity has partnered with 4th Street Markets in California to help food makers with their creations in their East End Incubator Commercial Kitchens. They provide kitchen on rent for at least 4 hours a day. They are available with the best techniques and storage options following the food hygiene rule.