The microwave oven is a handy home appliance that many of us cannot do without. Heating up food in a jiffy, warming up a glass of milk, or making that coffee-mug brownie on a whim – all this is possible because of the microwave oven. Although an indelible part of the modern kitchen, not many of us know how it works, or how to maintain it in good working condition. Running the microwave without any food within, heating food on metal plates or wrapped in aluminum foil, leaving residual grease and other food particles in the interior without cleaning are all ways that you could damage your microwave oven.
The worst damage you could do to your microwave oven is to continue to use it even when it has been damaged in some way. Therefore, it is important to be able to recognize when your microwave oven is not functioning to its maximum capacity, and to immediately reach out to any professional in Home Appliance Repair in O’Fallon to service and fix your oven. Here are a few signs that your microwave oven may need to be looked at:
- Uneven heating of food: You try to microwave a slice of your favorite pizza or a plate of spaghetti and you find that the food has not warmed up evenly. This may be a sign that something is wrong with your microwave oven. The magnetron inside the oven, which is the tube heating element in the appliance, is the most important part of the oven. If this part is faulty, food will take longer to heat, or will heat unevenly. Therefore, it is imperative that you get the microwave oven repaired if this is the case.
- Touchpad does not work: if the touchpad does not respond properly when you punch in the commands, or you hit Start and nothing happens, then you can be sure that something has gone wrong with your microwave oven. Either the touchpad will have to be cleaned, or it will have to be removed and replaced completely. Getting a touchpad replaced can be a lot more complicated, as it can cost almost the same as buying a brand new microwave oven.
Sometimes, you could also hear a loud bussing sound when you press Start. This probably means that there is a defective power diode, high voltage capacitor or magnetron. This all means that the microwave oven will have to be repaired or replaced immediately.
- The oven door does not close/seal properly: the microwave door needs to be closed or sealed completely while working. This is to make sure that the radiation is contained within the oven. If there are cracks on the door, or it is broken or the safety lock is worn out, radiation may leak out. This not only reduces the efficiency of the oven, but may also prove harmful to the surroundings.
- Microwave makes odd sounds: if your microwave is producing odd clanging or bussing sounds, then you need to make a thorough inspection of the oven. Sometimes, this may mean that the turntable is broken or is about to break. It may also mean that the fan blades are faulty. Sometimes, this may be caused by left-over food that has caused the fan blades or the turn table to misalign. Such problems are easily fixed. However, if the cause of the problem is not obvious, it is best to call in an expert in appliance repair in O’Fallon.
- Microwave gives off smoke, sparks or burning smells: If you see any of these signs, be aware that there are more serious problems with your microwave oven. Immediately stop the microwave oven and unplug it. If you continue running the oven, it may cause a serious fire.
These are only a few of the things that could go wrong with your microwave oven if you haven’t serviced it for a long time, or if the machine is quite old. Although you can prevent most damages by cleaning and maintaining your microwave oven well, serious damages must not be ignored. It is always wise to get the help of your nearest O’Fallon appliance repair professional, who will be able to fix your oven and also offer valuable advice on how to care for it and maintain it well.